SubscribeEvents calendarAdvertiseNewsfeedContactLegal noticePrivacy Policy
Tobacco Journal International
Newsletter
Events calendar     Search archive for in
Login

Username:

Password:

Forgot your password?

Get a password

Newsletter

 
UNITED STATES

Lawsuit over exploding e-cigarette

05 Jul 2019. A man from Cleveland, USA, who suffered severe burns after the battery of his vapour device exploded in his pocket, has filed a lawsuit against the company, The Mirror reported.

The LGHG2 battery, owned by South Korean company LG Chem, burst into flames in his pants pocket and not when he was actually using the device. Doctors treated the man for second- and third-degree burns that took up most of this right thigh, the report said.

"This is the wild, wild west these batteries, there's virtually no regulation, the FDA's come up with rules focused on the health effects of vaping and the issue of whether teenagers can be vaping, but there is no regulation on the device itself or the batteries,” the victim’s lawyer, Tom Merriman, was quoted as saying.

There have been similar incidents and other lawsuits in recent years with this battery and batteries made by other companies, the report said.

According to a study by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), an estimated 2,035 e-cigarette explosion and burn injuries occurred in the US between 2015 and 2017.